Featured Guest Post By Madison Carey Student @ Oklahoma State University
1. Don’t be the high school hero. College does this really neat thing where it allows you to become whoever you want to be – embrace it! It’s time to shake off all of those labels that defined you in high school and hone in to the inner you. Whether it be revealing your secret love for sci-fi movies or discovering a passion for politics – don’t be restricted by comfort and normalcy. You never know who might be popping in “the matrix” right down the hall (I’m talking to you, cute boy two doors down).
2. If you’re going to party, party hard. Juuussst kidding, mother. Sort of, but really: Find something you are passionate about and go hard in the paint. Nothing will give you more satisfaction in those four years than experiencing what it’s like to develop a love for a cause and watch it blossom.
3. Just dance. College has it’s fair share of awkward moments. It’s pretty easy to over-analyze basically everything. Make mistakes, learn from them, and keep dancing.
4. It’s not me, its you. College kids do this weird thing where they think the world revolves around them. Spoiler alert!! It doesn’t. If you want to do college right, always remember to be selfless– people will like you, and you will be happy.
5. An apple a day keeps the doctor away. Make a routine of visiting your campus rec facility (you can thank me later). When you treat your body well, you feel good and do good. Do not be a victim to the freshman 15! Be better than the 15.
6. Always have a plan. Tons of college students have no idea what they want to do – and that’s okay! Although, it is important to always have a plan. If you don’t know what to do, choose a major that you can actually get a job with. You are putting thousands and thousands of dollars into your education; don’t waste time or money on a degree that will leave you working at the local dairy queen.
7. School rulez. Contrary to popular belief, you are in college firstly for school. Through trial and error I have learned that not only do you have to go to class, but you have to actually listen and take notes to be successful.
8. Proud and immortal. Fall in love with your school, and it will make all the difference in your experience. Whether you go to a state school, ivy league, or your local community college: Be proud of where you are earning your degree from and more importantly, where you begin to discover yourself.
9. Work hard, play hard. This might be the most important piece of advice when looking to do college right. School, relationships, living on your own, and bills can all get overwhelming and stressful. Never give up, work hard, and look for the light at the end of the tunnel. The best part of it all? Rewarding yourself by celebrating and making memories with great friends during the most fun time of your life.