Once your local weather channel announces that the heat waves are in full affect and the city you’re currently residing in is blotched out in the red zone, you know Summer has officially arrived…
Don’t get stuck inside watching day time soap operas. Although the drama is, well… dramatic -there are a lot of activities you can get involved in to stay active. For example, the six ideas that we’ve listed for you below are a great start to avoid heat stroke, dehydration or just plain boredom this summer.
- Get Your Splash On… Swimming pools, local swimming holes or creeks, road trips to the beach or if you’re a baller on a budget get the hose out and have a water fight in your back yard with a few friends like you used to back in the day (yes you may have been 12 then, but hey it beats making butt indentations in your parents couch for the next three months). Besides, it’s a great way to stay cool and play time never hurt anyone.
- Ride A Roller coaster… Go to an amusement park and ride all of the roller coasters. In between the ups and downs stay hydrated with a frozen drink and indulge in some cotton candy! That’s the whole point of going to amusement parks – you get to eat and be merry, so enjoy it!
- Give It A Whack… Check out the local batting cages or head to the golf course where the green hills spread out for miles. Taking a few whacks with your buddies is a great way to stay active. If the cages or hills throw you off, try the miniature course and go a few rounds with the putter. Just be careful of that dang windmill, it’s known for blocking the ball at the most inopportune moments.
- Watch A Movie Under The Stars… Drive-in movie theaters may seem out dated, but they’re a timeless experience that should be taken advantage of. They’re lighter on your wallet as the tickets run cheaper than the bigger chains. There’s also a few bonuses to drive-ins as well… You have the freedom to bring in your own food and drinks, sit in the comfort of your own car and not have to worry about someone hogging the arm rest next to you. You also get the pleasure of enjoying the mid-summer’s night breeze.
- Roast It Up… Or keep it simple and stick to the back yard BBQ. Chicken, ribs, steak or even throw a few shrimp on the ‘barbie to spice it up… Whatever your flavor may be, get your friends and family in the mix and share some grub. It can’t get much easier than that!
- Snack On This… Make your own frozen treats that you can snack on when the days turn into scorchers. From frozen grapes, peaches and strawberries to some simple otter-pops – having a cool treat will keep you cool and sated for those late night snacks you might want to splurge on.
These are just a few of the innovative solutions to help keep you cool and off the couch (at least for a few hours). So, capitalize on your time off and schedule a few of the activities listed above.